hrc 13

 

 

ในความเป็นจริงแล้ว คณะพระมหาไถ่ไม่ได้เริ่มงานในกรุงเทพฯ เพราะเมื่อแรกมาถึงเมืองไทยในเดือนพฤษภาคม 1948 มิชชันนารี 4 ท่านแรกได้เดินทางไปทำงานทางภาคอิสาน ที่บ้านช้างมิ่ง จังหวัดสกลนครเป็นแห่งแรก แต่อย่างไร ก็ดี โบสถ์พระมหาไถ่ ซอยร่วมฤดี กรุงเทพฯ ก็ถือเป็นศูนย์กลางของ คณะพระมหาไถ่ในประเทศไทยมาจนปัจจุบันนี้ การทำงานของคณะในเขตกรุงเทพฯ เริ่มในเดือนพฤศจิกายน 1949 เมื่อคุณพ่อดูฮาร์ต หัวหน้าและอธิการของกลุ่มธรรมทูตได้ส่งคุณพ่อกอดเบาท์ และ คุณพ่อโกแตนท์ เข้ากรุงเทพฯ ตามคำเรียกร้องของ ฯพณฯ โชแรง เพื่อหาทำเลก่อตั้งบ้านของคณะ และดูแลสัตบุรุษชาวต่างชาติ ที่เดินทางเข้ามาตั้งรกรากบ้าง ท่องเที่ยวบ้าง มากับเรือสินค้า เรือรบต่าง ๆ บ้าง คุณพ่อทั้งสองได้รับความร่วมมือจาก นายแพทย์เลิศ ศรีจันทร์ เช่าบ้านหลังหนึ่งที่ซอยนายเลิศ เป็นบ้านพักชั่วคราว และใช้โรงรถเป็นวัดชั่วคราว

 

วัดเล็กหลังนี้ได้ชื่อภาย หลังว่า "วัดแม่พระโรงรถ" เมื่อรวบรวมสัตบุรุษได้มากพอสมควรแล้ว จึงเปิดทำมิสซาให้กับเขาเป็นครั้งแรก เมื่อวันที่ 13 พฤศจิกายน นั้นเอง ในเวลาไม่กี่ปี สมาชิกของกลุ่ม "วัดน้อยแม่พระโรงรถ" เพิ่มจำนวนมากขึ้น จนโรงรถที่ใช้เป็นวัดไม่เพียงพอจะให้บริการสัตบุรุษ คุณพ่อกอดเบาท์ และคุณพ่อโกแตนท์ จึงตัดสินใจซื้อที่ดินประมาณ 4 ไร่ครึ่ง ในบริเวณซอยร่วมฤดีเพื่อสร้างโบสถ์ ในชั้นแรกนั้นคณะผู้ก่อสร้างยังไม่มีแบบแปลนของวัดใหม่ที่แน่ชัดนัก จนเมื่อคราวพระสังฆราชฟูลตัน เจ ชีน จากชิคาโก สหรัฐอเมริกาได้เดินทางมาประเทศไทย ทั้งท่าน ฟูลตัน ชีน และพระคาร์ดินัลสเท็ล แมน จึงแนะนำคุณพ่อกอดเบาท์ว่า เมื่อมาอยู่ในเมืองไทย ก็ควรสร้างวัดตามแบบสถาปัตยกรรมไทย วัดหลังใหม่จึงถูกสร้างขึ้นด้วยศิลปะแบบไทย โดยมีสถาปนิกที่มีชื่อเสียงคนหนึ่งชื่อ คาแนลลี่ เป็นผู้ออกแบบ แม้ในเวลานั้นจะมีการวิพากย์ วิจารณ์ถึงวัดคาทอลิกใหม่ที่สร้างเหมือนโบสถ์พุทธกันมาก ทั้งในหมู่ชาวคริสต์และชาวพุทธเอง
แต่ปัจจุบัน วัดได้นี้รับการยอมรับแล้วว่าเป็นอาคารก่อสร้าง ที่สร้างความกลมกลืนระหว่างตะวันออกและตะวันตกได้อย่างลงตัว วัดพระมหาไถ่จึงเป็นโบส์ถคริสต์แห่งแรกในประวัติศาสตร์ไทยที่สร้างด้วยสถาปัตยกรรมไทย ในปลายปี 1954 พระสังฆราชหลุยส์ โชแรง ได้ทำพิธีเสกวัดและเปิดวัดพระมหาไถ่อย่างเป็นทางการ โดยมีคุณพ่อกอดเบาท์ เป็นเจ้าอาวาสคนแรก


ปัจจุบัน โบสถ์พระมหาไถ่ถือเป็นโบสถ์ที่มีสัตบุรุษมากแห่งหนึ่งในกรุงเทพฯ ทั้งชาวไทยและชาวต่างประเทศ ในวันพุธ มีพิธีนพวารแด่พระมารดานิจจานุเคราะห์กว่า 7 รอบ และมิสซาในวันอาทิตย์ 7 รอบ มีบริการ อบรมศีลศักดิ์สิทธิ์ต่าง ๆ เพื่ออำนวยความสะดวกแก่สัตบุรุษโดยรอบ มีการอบรมคู่สมรส เพื่อเตรียมชีวิตครอบครัว มีกลุ่มฆราวาสแพร่ธรรมต่าง ๆ กลุ่มนักดื่มนิรนาม กลุ่มสัตบุรุษชาวญี่ปุ่น ชาวเกาหลี ชาวฟิลิปปินส์ ฯลฯ งานของวัดยังครอบคลุมไปถึงโรงเรียนพระมหาไถ่ ศึกษา ซึ่งให้การศึกษาแก่บุตรหลานของชาวบ้านที่อยู่ในเขตใกล้เคียง

นอกจากนี้งานของบ้านพระมหาไถ่ ยังรวมไปถึงงานกับคนยากจนในเขตชุมชนแออัดคลองเคยด้วย ซึ่งงานนี้เริ่มมาตั้งแต่ราวปี 1958 จนถึงสมัยของ คุณพ่อโจเซฟ ไมเออร์ ท่านได้ก่อตั้ง "ศูนย์ส่งเสริมการพัฒนาบุคคล" เพื่อช่วยเหลือเด็กยากจนในสลัมให้สามารถช่วยเหลือตัวเองได้ ปัจจุบันทางศูนย์ฯมีเด็กในโครงการกว่า 3500 คน ตามโรงเรียนอนุบาลกว่า 30 แห่ง ในสลัม มีศูนย์เมตตา (Mercy Center) ซึ่งเป็นบ้านสำหรับเด็ก เร่ร่อนและเด็กที่ขายบริการทางเพศในกรุงเทพฯ เด็กสามารถมาพักและรับอาหารได้เมื่อเขาต้องการ และเป็นสถานที่ช่วยเหลือบำบัดผู้ที่ติดยาเสพติด และผู้ติดเชื้อโรคภูมิคุ้มกันบกพร่อง(HIV/AIDS) และ ดูแลผู้ติดเชื้อในระยะสุดท้าย รวมไปถึงการฝึกอาชีพสำหรับคนยากจนในสลัม เพื่อนำผลผลิตไปขายและเป็นรายได้สำหรับพวกเขาเอง จึงจะเห็นได้ว่า งานของคณะพระมหาไถ่ ในเขตกรุงเทพฯ นั้นแสดงออกถึงจิตตารมณ์ของคณะอย่างแท้จริง ในการอยู่เคียงข้างคนยากจนทั้งทางกายและใจ ด้วยความรักและความเมตตา


โบสถ์พระมหาไถ่
123/19 ซอยร่วมฤดี
กรุงเทพ ฯ 10330
โทร. 02-256-6422, 02-256-6578
02-256-6305, 02-256-6157
แฟกซ์ 02-256-6411

 

The Parish the first Redemptorist missionaries came to Thailand n 1984 and celebrated their Golden Jubilee in 1998. They have worked throughout the country – with the poor in the Northeast, with lepers in Ban Noi, with orphans and abandoned babies in Pattaya, with Hill Tribes and with slum dwellers in Klong Toey in Bangkok .

The Parish of Holy Redeemer was founded in 1949 at the request of the Bishop of Bangkok, Monsignor Chorin, to serve the large English – speaking population of the city. It took some time for the first two priests, Fr. Roger Godbout and Fr. Charles Cotant, to find a permanent site. They began by renting a house on Nai Lert Lane , not very far from the present parish church. They converted one room of the house, originally designed to be a garage, into a chapel and immediately began holding services for Catholics. This chapel was appropriately named Our Lady of the Garage. Not long after, they moved to a vacant clinic offered by Dr. Lert Srichan on Sathorn Road , holding Sunday services at Mater Die School for the growing number of parishioners.

Holy Redeemer Church Eventually the missionaries received permission and financial assistance from the Mother Province of Redemptorists in St. Louis , Missouri to purchase a small piece of property that would serve as the permanent site of Holy Redeemer Parish. Holy Redeemer Church was constructed and blessed in 1954. The parish will celebrate its Golden Jubilee Year in 2004.

Exterior The idea for the unique style of the church was suggested by the American, Monsignor Fulton J. Sheen. Bishop Sheen thought that a catholic church, following a traditional Thai architectural style, would be more culturally adapted to Thailand than a western model. This was a controversial idea, but Fr. Godbout guided to completion the construction of a unique church that has become one of the most beautiful landmarks in Bangkok . A simple cross on the roof identifies Wat Pra Mahathai as a Catholic Church that serves Bangkok parishioners and welcomes visitors from all over the world.

Interior The interior adapts Thai forms to Catholic liturgical needs. Throughout the church one is visually stirred by the Passion and Redemption of Christ. Father Harry Thiel commissioned the 40 meter – long reliefs of the Passion of Christ on both sides of the nave and the statue of Christ the Redeemer. They were designed in 1970 by the masterful Philippine architect Oliveres (Ver) Manipol. First, his fullsize drawings were attached to the walls. Wire mesh was then attached with nails to form a three – dimensional armature. Cement and plaster were next applied and finally the general form of the figures was sculpted by trowel, brush, and refined by hand. After the surfaces dried an antique finish was applied. A similar method was followed for the monumental sculpture behind the altar that was subsequently painted gold.

The collaboration between Fr. Thiel and Ver resulted in a highly original presentation of Christ’s Passion, Death and Resurrection. In addition to the fourteen traditional Stations of the Cross, the Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane (far right) and The Resurrection (far left) are also included. A beautiful, wave – like movement visually links each episode and draws us into the gripping drama of the Way of the Cross. The Passion begins with Christ’s anguished vigil in the olive grove. He ends his plea to escape the suffering that loomed before him in Jerusalem with an act of total resignation, “not as I will, but as Thou wilt.” The shared grief at his painful humiliation that is so deeply felt by the Women of Galilee, Veronica (the image of Christ on her veil is extraordinary) and other faithful followers seems to be reflected in the grimacing henchmen. Like the Good Thief who recognized who Jesus really was, their physical distaste for the brutality they inflict suggests that they, too, sensed divinity in His broken humanity.

After the mournful entombment the reliefs culminate in great joy with the Risen Christ bounding from the tomb. “Death is swallowed up in victory” (1 Corinthians 35:54), as seen in the magnificent sculpture of the triumphant Christ the Redeemer. The cup of suffering of Gethsemane has been transformed into the Eucharistic chalice. And the revelation of Easter gives us confidence to build a Kingdom of god on this earth in the sure and certain hope of Resurrection.

Parish Profile The Parish of Holy Redeemer is made up of individuals and families from over 33 countries. As such, our community is a microcosm of the universal church.

The members of the Parish of Holy Redeemer come from all walks of life, including the international business sector, governmental and non – governmental organizations, students, individuals involved in the service industries, and many others. On Sunday there are usually 3,000 people who attend 9 Masses in English or in Thai.

We encourage all parishioners to register with the Parish Office or to fill out the registration forms after 11.00 A.M. Mass on Sunday.


Holy Redeemer Church
123/19 Soi Ruamrudee
Bangkok 10330
Tel. 02-256-6422, 02-256-6578
02-256-6305, 02-256-6157
Fax 02-256-6411